Thursday, July 10, 2014

2014: page one hundred eighty-two

Wow, the first day of the second half of the year! Can't believe that this year is already half over! I've really enjoyed documenting every day, even the "boring" days or the "bad" days.

What I've realized, though, is that I need to step it up. Make more of an impact. Teach B what it means to love and serve others. It is all too easy to just stay in our bubble, do our own thing, work on our house, etc.

One Way To Step It Up
One of my favorite mantras, that really sums up what being a Christian should look like, is "Love God, love others, serve the world." (Thanks Jason!) Being that and doing that is something I should be doing, as well as, modeling for B. Show her from a young age that this life is not about us. Point her to Jesus.

How I'm going to do this:
  • About a year ago I found this wonderful curriculum called Letters to Serve, that will teach B her letters, and more importantly it incorporates Bible verses, praying for and serving others. For example, during "A" week, the verse is "As the deer...", you write down everyone you know whose name starts with "A" along with every country or state that starts with that letter, then pray for them all throughout the week. At the end of the week, you pick one person whose name starts with "A" and do an act of service or make something for them and take it to them. I am so excited to start this and yet I just haven't. Go figure. Now is the time. She is eager to learn.
  • Be out and about more. While out, look for opportunities to meet people's needs, engage in conversations (so much out of my comfort zone!), talk to the neighbors or better yet invite them over (scary!), or whatever. Be ready to be a part of whatever God is doing today. Let him use us.
Another Way To Step It Up
As well, I need to be more intentional with how I use my time. For real this time. I am a planner by nature and oh so many times have I written out how to keep the house clean, how to lead B throughout the day, how to meet Ryan's needs, how to spend more time with God, how to, well, you name it. Now, I just need the self-discipline to actually do it. Not to be the perfect mother, wife, housekeeper, person, but rather, to live a life with purpose that actually makes an impact.

How I'm going to do this:
  • Put the "plan" I've written down into action. :) Tweak as needed.
  • Clean a little everyday. It doesn't have to be perfect for heaven's sake, just kept up.
  • Have activities ready for B each day
  • Actually get up early, hop on the elliptical and read the Bible while exercising. What a great way to start the day!
I'm sure there is more, but let's see how we do with these two (big) things. :)

No comments: