Tuesday, September 9, 2014

2014: page two hundred forty-five

Ryan worked from home today, which I always enjoy. :) Even though he was locked up in the guest room for most of the day, it's just nice to have him here. And when he needed a break, we got to hang out for a bit.

B and I played outside for a while, enjoying the sunshine.

She filled this with water and got in it to "swim" :)

In the early evening, the three of us went to B's preschool open house. I was so, so excited about this, to see the new place (the preschool moved into a new house since I registered her), get to know her teacher a little bit more. In all honesty, during the summer I was reconsidering sending her to preschool, but the past few weeks all she has talked about is going to school (even though we hadn't ever talked to her about it). I figured that since she was so interested that I would stick to the original plan and send her.

Once we got there, we noticed that the house sits on the corner of a residential street and a busy, high speed street. And it didn't have a fence. "That's ok," I thought, "they probably just don't play outside." After all, it's just a 2 hour/day preschool and so playing outside isn't really necessary for that short of a time. I was wrong. They play outside the last 15 minutes of the class.

Expressing our concerns to the teacher about how B is only 2, likes to run and actually thinks it's a game, she kind of just blew off the dangers. Stating that the first time it happens she will get put in time out and will hate having to sit there watching the other kids play, which will lead to it not happening again. I'm not really comfortable with that answer considering there will be sixteen 2 year olds supervised by 2-3 adults. Somehow, being on that busy road I'm not comfortable with there being even a chance at running away even once. Not to mention that a fence is also a good way to keep other dangers out, such as creepers and mean dogs. I'm still in shock that there was not a fence and it wasn't a big deal.

Ryan and I brainstormed to see how we could make it work, but never came to a point where we felt comfortable sending her there.

I am so bummed! So, SO bummed! What bums me out more is that B will be bummed, too. :(

No comments: