Saturday, March 17, 2012

Briella Kai Roberts!

Briella Kai Roberts was born March 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM, weighing 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long!

Briella means "God is my might" and Kai means "rejoice." As well, both of her grandmas' names start with the letters "Ka" and we wanted to honor them with a middle name beginning with those letters.

I do hope to write a more complete post about my birthing experience, but for now I just want to get these details down so I don't forget. Plus I like numbers, so this is fun for me. :)

I have to admit that things didn't go at all how I was hoping (all natural, unmedicated, etc.), but this is how my birthing experience went as told by numbers. And when all is said and done, Briella is here and all is good!
  • 32 hours of total labor (back labor nonetheless. Yikes!)
  • 11 hours of labor in the hospital
  • 7 hours with an epidural
  • 1 hour of pushing
  • 3 attempts to get an IV in, including 3 different nurses. Apparently, I have tiny veins.
  • 2 attempts to get an epidural in. Apparently, I was 1/10 cm away from being unable to have one.
  • 2 times that I passed out following delivery
  • 1 IV drip of glucose water following passing out
  • 3 blood draws
  • 1,000,000 stitches. Ha ha ha, not really, but seems like that. :)
  • 1 AMAZING husband who massaged my back for hours to help with the incredibly intense back labor, plus much, much more. Could not have done it without him!
  • 1 BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL!
What an unbelievably amazing experience bringing new life into this world! Our lives are forever changed! We love you, Briella!

2 comments:

Tara Brown said...

Ha, she is so beautiful!!!! All those numbers say 'ouch!' Pray that only the good memories remain! Love ya!!!!

domesticjoys said...

Con- She is SO beautiful! I finally had time to sit down tonight and catch up on your blog. Oh, how jealous I am that I didn't get to meet her yet! Someday soon I hope! I miss you and would love to catch up sometime soon! I love that you are a mommy! I wish I could see you in action!
love,
kel