Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Overcome

Overcome
I can see that my hands are trembling
I can see that my legs are weak
I can see that my head is spinning
but I will overcome
and I know that my heart is hurting
and I know that my soul it aches
and I know that it seems I'm falling
but I will overcome

Oh Lord I'm strong in you
oh Lord I'm wise in you
oh Lord I can see in you
so I will overcome
oh lord I'm loved by you
oh Lord I'm free in you
oh Lord I'm complete in you
so I will overcome, I will overcome

This is one of my current favorite "worship" songs. We sang it at the Women's One Day event at my church a couple of Saturdays ago and the lines that I bolded above were especially meaningful to me that day and in the days since. I was (and still am) struggling with identity and those lines and the overall theme of the song to overcome are powerful. If I can just live like those lines are true (which they are!), then my "identity" as I see it and even as others see it, doesn't really matter. Oh, how I long to truly live in that! You see, my whole life, I have picked one thing or a couple of somethings and based my identity on them. These things are faulty things. For the last what seems like forever, without necessarily realizing it, I have based my entire identity on being single. I've seen that as who I am and not just a part of me. And in my mind, I equate single to being a loser (for lack of a better word). Now wonder, I'm all messed up! :) I have some amazing people in my life who I've shared this with in person and it's amazing how wrong I am and have been in how I think people see me. It's hard to wrap my mind around it all, but I have learned (or am in the process of learning or letting it sink in), that my identity doesn't come from this aspect or really any aspect of my life. It comes from God! Of course, I have been taught this for my entire life, but I've never really embraced it. Or, if I ever have embraced it, it hasn't lasted. I've known it to be true, but have I ever really BELIEVED it? That's the key. I need to believe it. I need to trust that what GOD says is true. And that is simply filling my mind with the truth of God's Word and getting rid of the lies that I have believed for so long. I need to take hold of those thoughts that lead me to think and believe things that are untrue. So, here's to being single and being ok with it! :)

I read somewhere yesterday, the following, "stop feeling that there is something wrong with being single." Thought that was a good way to put it after the past few weeks of my life journey. That doesn't mean that the desire to not be single isn't still there, it's just in proper perspective.

Well, I could sit here forever and write, trying to get all my thoughts out, but I've got to go to bed. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to try and get more of them out and let others in on this part of my journey.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Connie we love you!! You are an amazing women!!

Gallagher Fam said...

if you ever get time, so the "breaking free" bible study by beth moore. what you said is true. your id in christ is the only thing that stays constant. as a parent i fall into the trap of making my id "a good parent," so if i have a fallout with megan or my kids misbehave etc, my id is shot and so is my self esteem. good words and so hard to do. i am working on it too. here's to seeing ourselves as God sees us!!!