Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Two Thoughts

Two thoughts from a couple of books, one that I've read and one that I'm currently reading, have stuck with me and keep whirling around in my head. I have not come to any conclusions, but they are good food for thought. Hoping that God can use them to lead me in my life in the area of giving and blessing others.
I don't have quotes, rather the ideas:
  1. What if the command to "love your neighbor as yourself" means to give 50% of our income away to the church, to the poor and needy, organizations that meet the physical and spiritual needs of others, etc? I'm not thinking that 50% is a magical number or exactly what loving your neighbor as yourself means, rather how much is God calling us to give? I don't want to be confined by the thinking that we give our 10% and so we're good to go. I want to be open and sensitive to God's leading when it comes to giving.
  2. Why am I blessing the already blessed? I'm surrounded for the most part by people who are already blessed and so it is easy to bless those people because they are near. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's wrong to bless those people. It's a privilege. More that I need to step outside of that and let God's blessings flow through me to those who really need it. It could be in any form: my time, financially, help with difficult tasks, transportaion, a meal or groceries, etc. Who does God want to use me to bless?
I know these thoughts may not make any sense without the context of the books, but hopefully a little bit.

Here are the books for anyone interested, both by Jen Hatmaker:

1 comment:

Tara said...

Connie - Jen Hatmaker came to our church an spoke for the weekend on that book 7. Is sure does give you lots to think about
-Tara